The Family History Game™
The Family History Game™ can be played with one or more people. It encourages people to explore their thoughts, opinions, experiences, aspirations, and feelings. Cut the following questions/inquiries into strips and put the strips of paper into a container in the middle of the group. One person picks a paper, reads and responds to the question/inquiry, then picks one other person to answer the same question. The second person will be the next to select a paper, respond to the question/inquiry written on it, and select another person to answer the question/inquiry written on the paper they chose. When played in a group, persons are encouraged to resist being judgmental or confrontational in regards to others’ responses/“answers”. Part of the “magic” of this game is that it gives people an opportunity to explore their feelings/opinions and experiences. The concept I like to keep in mind is that opinions can and do change, especially when people have a chance to hear the perspectives of others. Let others give their responses without the fear of being laughed at, put down, or without feeling a need to defend their opinion/response. Accept responses without judgment. Participants are encouraged to elaborate on, explain, or give details along with their responses.
- Tell about the best friend you had when growing up.
- Tell about your most interesting/strangest ancestor.
- Tell about a memory of a grandparent.
- Tell about your favorite vacation memory.
- Describe your dream vacation.
- What part of your life would you like to experience over again?
- Where do you feel most secure?
- If you were to start a business, what would your product be?
- What city would you most like to live in?
- What language would you like to be able to speak?
- What is your hobby?
- What do you like most, the mountains or the ocean?
- What time of year do you like most?
- What time of day do you most like?
- What is your favorite holiday?
- Where would you like to live for one year?
- What part would you like to play in a movie?
- What type of book do you most like to read?
- Describe the plot of the movie you would star in?
- What is your favorite kind of music?
- At what age do you think it is best to marry?
- What university would you like to attend?
- What career best suits your personality and skills?
- What kind of animal would you like to be for a day?
- What event in the Olympics would you like to compete in?
- What is your favorite fruit?
- What one thing would you change in the world?
- How would you have created humans differently than they are?
- What activity is most therapeutic for you?
- What act is most worthwhile in life?
- What does a regular day in your life consist of?
- Describe an ideal way to spend the day.
- What do you fear most?
- What do you hate most?
- What do you love most?
- What is the worst thing that could happen to you?
- What handicap could you handle most? Least?
- What time period in history would you like to have lived?
- Tell about your father.
- Tell about your mother.
- What is your favorite sport to participate in? Watch?
- What is your favorite meal?
- What is your favorite dessert?
- Where do you like to go to be alone?
- What was your favorite toy when you were young?
- What is your favorite mode of transportation?
- Describe your dream house.
- What school subject do you do best in? Favorite?
- What type of person do other people perceive you as?
- Do you have a quiet personality or a loud one?
- Who is your idol?
- Who is your hero?
- Who was your idol when you were young?
- Who were the movie stars when you were young?
- Describe yourself.
- Describe the kind of person you want to become.
- What one thing are you sure you could convince another person of?
- What are you most committed to?
- What one thing would you change about yourself?
- What three things would you like to accomplish if you had six months to live?
- What about yourself are you most sensitive or self conscious?
- What are you really good at?
- Who has had the greatest influence in your life? In what way?
- What makes you unique from other people?
- What do you want to be remembered for?
- What person in history would you like to trade places with?
- What is your latest, greatest accomplishment?
- Do you have few interests, or many? What are your interests?
- Would you describe yourself as a “city” person or a “country” person?
- What person in history would you want as your good friend?
- Tell about the most interesting or exciting thing you have experienced.
- What are the three most important things you do each day?
- Which subject is most sensitive for you to discuss: money, politics, or religion?
- What, or who has most affected your philosophy of life?
- Name and describe your talents or gifts.
- What three things would you defend with your life?
- If you were given three wishes, what would you wish for?
- Tell of the happiest day of your life.
- What three things do you love most?
- What three things do you dislike most?
- What advice for the future would you offer your child on their wedding day?
- What about yourself are you most confident?
- What about yourself are you most insecure?
- How well do you resolve challenges in your life?
- What is the greatest value that guides you in your life?
- What is the most sacred thing you know of?
- What leisure activity do you like most?
- What event in the last year stands out most to you?
- What is most worth living for?
- What saying would you like on your grave marker?
- What is the most beautiful thing you have seen?
© 1986 Michael Huntsman
© 2010 Family History Evening . com - Contact us